Georgia Homeless

Every city has its share of homelessness and poverty, but some places are worse than others. That’s especially true for Atlanta, because it’s been named one of the neediest cities in America.

A financial website (WalletHub) named Atlanta No. 4 in its most recent ranking “Most Neediest Cities,” Detroit, Brownsville, Texas, and Memphis took first, second and third place, respectively.

To determine the rankings, the finance website analyzed the 150 most populated areas in America using 21 metrics, such as child poverty and uninsured rates, categorized into two major categories: economic well-being and health and safety.

While Atlanta’s health and safety score was average, its high homelessness rate caused it to rise to the top of the list.

Georgia's 10,000, 2017 Report on Homelessness
During the Point in Time Count in January 2017, at least 10,373 people were literally homeless in Georgia – a 25% decrease from 2015. Just 36% were unsheltered; the other 64% were in emergency or transitional housing.

In Georgia …

More than 75,000 are homeless at some time during the year.
There are more than 58,000 homeless children in Georgia.
Georgia is second worst state in the nation for child homelessness.
Georgia ranks sixth in the nation for states with the highest number of unsheltered people.
There are approximately 2,766 homeless veterans in Georgia.

In Atlanta …

Atlanta is the poorest city in the U.S. for children – more children in Atlanta live in poverty than in any other city.
48 percent of all the children in Atlanta in poverty live in families with annual incomes of less than $15,000 a year.
More than 10,000 people in metro Atlanta experience homelessness on any given night.
More than 40 percent of those people are women and children.